Sudan’s army chief, General Abdel Fattah al-Burhan, has said he will not be in the new government after the end of the interim government. He also denied that the army was responsible for killing several protesters during the ongoing uprising against the coup. Khabar Al-Jazeera.
The army seized power in Sudan on October 25. Since then, anti-coup protests have been going on in the country. At least 14 protesters have been killed so far, according to the Central Committee of Sudanese Doctors. About 300 protesters were injured.
In an interview with Al Jazeera, al-Burhan said they were committed to a democratic transfer of power. It is a question of fulfilling the promises made to the Sudanese people and the international community. Burhan also claimed that his government was committed to holding timely elections and not obstructing peaceful political activities. “We are determined to hand over power to the civilian government,” he said. I promise to implement this power transfer process without any hindrance. ‘
Al-Burhan denied that the army had been involved in the killings. He said the Sudanese army had not killed civilians. An investigation committee is working to uncover the truth.
The interview was broadcast on Sunday yesterday. The interview was broadcast at a time when anti-coup protests were taking place in various Sudanese cities. A group of teachers protested in front of the Ministry of Education in Khartoum on Sunday. At least 60 protesters have been arrested since Sunday’s rally, according to the teachers’ union. However, no casualties were reported on the day.
Burhan’s interview was taken by Al-Jazeera journalist Resul Serdar. “People have the right to protest peacefully,” he said, referring to Khartoum. He said talks were underway with various political figures and parties, including ousted Prime Minister Abdullah Hamdak, to form a government. Burhan hopes an agreement can be reached within 24 hours.
Earlier on Sunday, protesters in Sudanese security forces fired tear gas at several protesters.